Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Good Omens


Good OmensGood Omens by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When an angel and a demon mislay the Antichrist, the Apocalypse comes as expected - but doesn't proceed according to plan..

For fans of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, it will be clear that the majority of the writing and style is Pratchett's. The humor, plus his ever-present humanism, is a lot like what you will find in the Discworld books. So you'll meet funny characters: witches who are ahead of their times, the Four Horseman (including Death, who speaks in all caps!) and the Satanic nuns, a gang of imaginative kids, a dog-like Hellhound, telephone salespeople, and bikers - all of whom will irresistibly remind you of the good people of Ankh-Morpork.


View all my reviews

P.S. A friend asked me why I didn't give this book more than three stars. Here is my response:

"While I enjoy the works of both of these writers, I confess that I can't fully love a book where two atheists reinterpret the Bible to fit their own worldview. That makes me a little uncomfortable, and I am definitely not a secular humanist like Pratchett.

If not for my philosophical differences, I might have enjoyed "Good Omens" as much as the best of the Discworld books (for me, "Small Gods" has the same problems with religion as "Good Omens"). A lot of people love this book to pieces, though, and you may not have the same reservations I did.

That's not to say that I don't find the characters charming and the book well-written. It's just a personal hangup that kept me from fully engaging in the story."

No comments:

Post a Comment