Friday, June 29, 2012

Reading

I follow a lot of blogs, and many of them are written by avid readers and writers. Here's a collection of links to articles and blogs about writing:

somanybooksblog.com - A blog from a reader in Minnesota. I honestly don't know how she reads so many books! They're not all lightweight works, either. She's a librarian and says of herself: "If you haven’t figured it out, I like to read. This blog is about what I’m reading and not reading (as sometimes happens), what I want to read and what I am considering reading. There is also occasional agonizing over reading, not reading, what I want to read and what I am considering reading. From time to time personal life slips in and stories about my husband, school, libraries, or pet pictures might appear."

undergroundnewyorkpubliclibrary.com - I just discovered this blog today, and it's marvelous: "The Underground New York Public Library is a visual library featuring the Reading-Riders of the NYC subways." The blog is the creation of photographer Ourit Ben-Haim, who writes "I’m fascinated by how we apply ourselves to stories and discourse. In so doing, we shape who we understand ourselves to be." (Discovered thanks to So Many Books.)

brainpickings.org - Be warned! This website is sometimes overwhelming, especially if you're like me and have never-ending lists of books to be read. The short posts, featuring nonfiction books, are usually accompanied images, links, and videos. You'll find a rich source of new things to learn about. Maria Popova, the main writer and editor, says of the site: "Brain Pickings is your LEGO treasure chest, full of pieces across art, design, science, technology, philosophy, history, politics, psychology, sociology, ecology, anthropology, you-name-itology. Pieces that enrich your mental pool of resources and empower you to combine them into original concepts that are stronger, smarter, richer, deeper and more impactful."

forgottenbookmarks.com - This site was created by a used and rare bookseller, who has also published a book. The images show found objects he's encountered, along with the books he found them in.


No comments:

Post a Comment