Wednesday, May 1, 2013

April: Books Bought

Nook Books:
Watership Down by Richard Adams -  I reread this every year, and I've been itching to get it on my Nook. Now I have it! Not that I'm getting rid of my physical copy or anything crazy like that....
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - Deeply funny, and even though I read it years ago I smile every time I think about Ignatius J. Reilly's unique filing system. Nearly time for a reread.
Something About You by Julie James - Recommendation from my cousin, Beth, who increased my list of romance books by a lot during her too-short visit.
Hit Man by Lawrence Block - A hit man with a heart of gold? Perfect.
The Slaves of Solitude by Patrick Hamilton - His books are unlike what I normally gravitate toward, but the way he creates characters is so extraordinary that I am back for more. Awkward courtships? I'm in!
Redshirts by John Scalzi - You cannot call yourself a Star Trek fan if you don't know about the many tragic sacrifices made over the decades by eager young redshirts.
Feed by Mira Grant - It was so cheap! It's been on my list for a while! - and the third book in the trilogy was just short-listed for the Hugo, which was my tipping point. (Not to be confused with M.T. Anderson's Feed.)
The Duchess War by Courtney Milan - According to my friend Caitlin, this book is "scrumtrelescent"! How could I miss that?
The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan - Because who can beat the price of FREE?
The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick - I loved the movie, and even Kirkus admitted that the book was charming.
Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann - Some friends of mine love this book, and I got it for 99 cents.
Cooperstown Confidential: Heroes, Rogues, and the Inside Story of the Baseball Hall of Fame
by Zev Chafets - So cheap! Yay, Barnes and Noble!
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - Again, another steal from a favorite author!
How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier - Great title, should be fun!
Liar by Justine Larbalestier - Unreliable narrator? Check! Controversial original cover art? Yup.
How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer by Sarah Bakewell - A Nick Hornby recommendation
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie - Y'all, I love my fantasy revenge novels.
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan - What about this title isn't great?
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones - I decided to read this for a class, but found that I had loaned out my copy! Curses. So I bought it again on Nook. Yes, it's that good.

Physical Books:
The City & The City by China Miéville - An author who is known for his complexity and originality. My first foray into his works was Kraken, which I enjoyed well enough to seek out more.
The Scar by China Miéville - see above
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester - My love for Master and Commander has made this one an inevitable read, though I don't think anyone can top Patrick O'Brian's incredible series.
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - I cried actual tears when reading this book, which is unusual for me. And it's set near my hometown, where Alexie grew up.
The Edge of the Crazies by Jamie Harrison
The Birthday Boys by Beryl Bainbridge
The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks
The Voyage of the Narwhal by Andrea Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment