Saturday, June 1, 2013

Books Bought in May

Nook Books:
Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams - I ran across his name after reading Leviathan Wakes. Hopefully I've discovered a new favorite scifi author!
The Crown Jewels by Walter Jon Williams (Maijstra #1)
This is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams
Siege and Storm (pre-order) by Leigh Bardugo - I read the first book and immediately pre-ordered the second.
The Uninvited Guest by Sadie Jones - Manor house comedy of errors: the description contains the words "dysfunctional" and "eccentric", which make my ears perk.
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walters - I kept hearing about this one, and Walters is from my hometown so naturally I must read it!
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause - Klause inaugurated the YA vampire craze with her book The Silver Kiss, and this is it's natural antecedent: a werewolf novel. VOYA: 5Q, 4P. (Probably would have  gotten a perfect ten if it had been published in the 2000s instead of 1997.)
Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey - I hear it's dark and funny. I'm in.
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl - It was recently made into a movie, and it sounds like one my sister and I would both enjoy.
The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham - Supposed to be an excellent epic fantasy first book, and it included an ARC of Leviathan Wakes!
Legion by Brandon Sanderson
The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson
The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson - Okay, so you can probably tell I'm a fan of Sanderson. Ever since I read his Mistborn trilogy with its amazing magic system, I've been hooked.
The Complete H.P. Lovecraft - All of his short stories, arranged in chronological order. Seems like a good thing to have on hand if I ever need to feel a nameless terror.
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card - A parallel novel to Ender's Game that tells the story of Bean's beginnings as a homeless orphan. It's great to get into another character's head and see his differing perspective on the same events. Now I can get weed my physical copy of this book, too!

Physical Books:
The complete Borrowers series by Mary Norton! Boxed set! - Reading this the moment that diploma hits my hand this June.
Children of God by Mary Doria Russell (The Sparrow #2) - My teacher told me that it really does complete The Sparrow, so I figured I had to get it, though I've heard mixed reviews.
Appleseed by John Clute - The name struck me as familiar, and it's space opera, so I bought it.
The Animal Family by Randall Jarrell - Total impulse buy. I was up for a fairy tale-esque story "decorated" by Maurice Sendak.
April Lady by Georgette Heyer - You should see the all-pink ridiculously silly cover. Looking forward to reading this on the bus.
Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen - Everyone keeps telling me he's funny, and the setup for this book sounds like it. Except oddly, since it's set in Florida part of me expects it to be like Key Largo. I will probably have to revise that impression at some point...
House of Abraham by Stephen Berry - A nonfiction book about Mary Todd Lincoln's family during the Civil War. When Lincoln talked about "a house divided," he definitely meant his own.
The Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O'Brian
The Wine-Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brian
The Yellow Admiral by Patrick O'Brian
The Hundred Days by Patrick O'Brian - Books 14, 16, 18, and 19 of the Aubrey/Maturin series. I want to reread the first few books and power through the rest this summer. They were all on sale! (I should be buying these in e-versions, but I can't resist a bargain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment