Saturday, February 20, 2016

Irresponsible Booking

Ah, the weekend.

Where I can take a break from my job as a librarian and....go to the library.

I haven't been to my local public library in a month or so, and it seemed like a good idea this morning.

My haul:

Anatomy 101: A Crash Course in Anatomy and Physiology - Because I never studied much science, and this looked bite-sized.

The Boys Who Challenged Hitler: Knud Pedersen and the Churchill Club - I ran across a review of this, and I love a good story where good courageously challenges evil.

Lumberjanes (Friendship to the Max and Beware the Kitten Holy) - I've been hearing a lot of buzz about this series focused on female friendships, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Manga Shakespeare: As You Like It -  Because why not? I love Shakespeare, and I like manga.

Reclaiming Conversation - In thinking about friends who don't read, I have also been considering the loss of meaningful conversation in my life. It seemed a timely topic.

The Explorers - Dugard wrote the excellent Into Africa, and I hope this book will be as readable and fascinating. Bonus, it mentions Richard Francis Burton, an amazing man I first learned about through To Your Scattered Bodies Go. He was a larger-than-life character, and I remember the brief mention of his conflict with Speke in Into Africa.

Pirate Hunters - Robert Kurson is another writer of true adventure stories whose previous work I loved. I read Shadow Divers years ago, and still remember the visceral reaction to that story of wreck divers exploring a downed U-Boat.

Furiously Happy - I am also furiously happy to see this follow-up to Let's Pretend This Never Happened. I have been looking forward to picking up this book by The Bloggess.

Finally, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - A brick that I hope to reread this year. Last year I looked for a physical copy in my library and was surprised not to find one. They have corrected that oversight! So I brought it home just to make myself happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment