Monday, February 15, 2016

Meditations

This weekend I downloaded a free app called Breathe from Stop, Breathe & Think. I just finished my first 6-minute guided meditation, and was surprised at how relaxing it was.



The last few months have been challenging for me, personally and professionally. I've gone through some big changes and haven't weathered them very well - I've had several rounds of fairly serious stress-related illnesses as a result. Normally I'm very healthy and optimistic. I love my job, have good friends, and a wonderful family.

But into every life a little rain must fall. Blogging regularly again is part of the change I am making. Eating right, exercising regularly, and giving myself time for creativity outside of work are all strategies I'm adopting to de-stress and regain my health (physically and mentally).

Many popular meditation techniques spring from the Buddhist concept of selflessness. I actually disagree with this tenet, and don't think of detachment as a useful mindset for my own life. So the philosophical underpinnings of meditation been a block to cultivating the habit, though I've always been attracted to the idea.

I'm looking forward to progressing with the meditation app, and seeing what increased mindfulness will help me achieve. I have a habit of overlooking stress, and charging ahead until something knocks me back.

If you're going through a big change in your life, I encourage you to take a few minutes to evaluate your mental state and choose a healthy response to the challenges you face. No one else can do this for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment